Scout24 Switzerland Ltd.: Cookies, similar technologies and online advertising
You can visit our websites without registering. In the process, however, usage data, such as the IP address of your device, sites visited, browser used, the date, time of day, etc., are generated, which we store through cookies and similar technologies. These data generally cannot be used to identify you.
Cookies perform a variety of functions. They enable you, e.g., to navigate efficiently between various pages, store your preferences and improve your user experience in general. Cookies help to better match online ads to your potential interests and thereby minimize the inclusion of advertising that might be of little or no interest to you.
We distinguish among the following cookies:
- Mandatory cookies: These cookies are absolutely necessary for navigating on our websites and using its functions, such as accessing the secure login area. Without these cookies, services such as shopping baskets cannot be made available.
- Performance cookies: These cookies collect information about such things as the pages most frequently visited. Probably the best-known example is Google Analytics, which, for registered users, can store the account ID and an encrypted e-mail address for purposes of recognising them (*). The remaining performance cookies do not collect information for the purpose of recognising visitors pseudonymously. The collected information is evaluated cumulatively and is therefore anonymous. It is
- cookies: These utilised to improve the functionality of our websites, e.g., through A/B testing.
- Functionality cookies store entries made by you (e.g., user name, language, text size, prior entries, etc.) to improve your user experience on the websites.
- Targeting/advertising cookies: These cookies use anonymous information about your surfing behaviour or, more precisely, about the surfing behaviour documented through your browser, to better match ads to your presumed interests, limit how often you see an ad, or to help to measure the effectiveness of digital ad campaigns. These cookies are set by Scout24's internal marketing organisation, MediaImpact (mediaimpact.scout24.ch), or by independent advertising networks acting on behalf and with the consent of Scout24. These advertising cookies remember that you visited our websites, and they share this anonymous user behaviour with other media companies. In no event is any personal data, such as your name, address and e-mail address, stored in these cookies. Content providers, such as Scout24, use targeting/advertising cookies as the technical basis for financing through advertising their frequently no-cost offerings.
Most of the cookies that Scout24 uses are temporary session cookies that are automatically deleted by your computer or mobile device at the end of your browser session. Apart from that, however, we also use permanent cookies. These cookies remain stored on your computer or mobile device after the end of your browser session. These permanent cookies remain stored on your computer or mobile device for a period between one month and ten years, depending on the type of cookie, and are automatically deactivated only at the end of the programmed time period.
(*) Google Analytics is a web analysis service owned by Google Inc. ("Google"). Google Analytics uses so-called "cookies" (text files) that are stored on the user's computer and make it possible to analyse his or her use of the website. The information generated by the cookie regarding the use of this website (including the user's IP address) will be transferred to one of Google's servers in the USA and stored there. Google will use this information in order to analyse the user's use of the website, to compile reports on website activity for the website operators and to provide additional services related to the use of the website and the Internet. Google will on occasion also transfer this information to third parties insofar as required by law or where third parties process such data on behalf of Google. Google will not under any circumstances associate the user's IP address with any other data held by Google. The user can prevent the cookies from being installed by selecting the appropriate settings in his or her browser software (the relevant add-on can be downloaded at http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?ht=de); Scout24 notes, however, that in this case the user may not be able to use all of this website's features.
2. Web analysis
On its websites and in its applications, Scout24 may use technologies for the anonymous analysis of website and application visits to continuously improve the websites and applications. The tool "Hotjar" is utilised on the websites for the non-personal analysis of the use of the platforms and for statistical evaluations. In the process, information is recorded concerning your operating system, browser, geographical origin (country only), the pages called up during the current visit, as well as the interactions (e.g., mouse movements, clicks and entries made on the website). Using the tools "Optimizely" and "SiteSpect", Scout24 also periodically conducts A/B and multivariate tests and delivers different versions of the website or smartphone apps for this purpose.
To estimate the extent to which our users overlap with those of our cooperation partners, Scout24 utilises the "Ringier Pixel" on the one hand and the "Tealium Universal Data Hub" and "Tealium Tag Management System ("TMS")" pixels on the other. Both services are provided by Tealium Inc., 11085 Torreyana Road, San Diego, CA 92121, USA ("Tealium"). Tealium is certified under the Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield.
Ringier Pixel: You can choose whether to deactivate the Ringier tracking tool utilised on this site. In order to do so, click on this link: https://www.blick.ch/services/datenschutz/opt-out/
Tealium pixel: You can choose whether to deactivate the Tealium pixel utilised on this site. In order to do so, click on this link.
3. Links to other websites
Our websites, online platforms and applications include links to third-party websites. As soon as you click on them, you leave Scout24's sphere of influence. Scout24 assumes no liability for the content or legality of any linked third-party website. The terms and conditions of use and the data protection policies of these third parties apply.
4. Elements of other websites
Elements of other websites (e.g., social networks like Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and YouTube) may be used on our websites, online platforms or applications (hereinafter "third-party providers"). If you are actively logged in to a social media network, such as e.g. Facebook, while using our sites, data regarding your user behaviour may be transferred to the provider of the respective social media network. In the process, data regarding your visit on Scout24's website, online platform or application may be transmitted to the third-party provider. Under certain circumstances, these data may be matched with your user account with the third-party provider (e.g., your Facebook or Twitter account). Moreover, the third-party provider may transmit personal data (surname, first name and e-mail address) from your user account to Scout24, provided you have given the third-party provider your consent to this operation. You will find information about third-party providers' collection and use of the data in the data protection provisions of the respective third-party providers.
5. How to manage or opt out of cookies
Most Internet browsers accept cookies automatically. However, you can instruct your browser not to accept cookies or to ask you each time before accepting a cookie from a website visited by you. You can also delete cookies on your computer or mobile device by using the corresponding feature in your browser. For instructions, please look under the keyword "cookie" in your browser's help file or user manual.
You can decide at any time whether or not you wish to take advantage of targeted ads matched to your potential interests. However, opting-out does not mean that no further online ads will be displayed to you. Rather, it only means that the ads displayed to you on our websites are not tailored to your presumed interests and may therefore be less relevant to you.
We recommend the following two procedures for managing which cookies you wish to accept or block:
a) Selecting the appropriate settings in your browser
Many browsers only allow you to block third-party cookies. Third-party cookies are cookies that are set when the website called up by you contains elements (e.g., ad banners or videos) of a third-party provider, e.g., an advertising network.
You can also block all cookies. However, this could significantly restrict your web-surfing comfort if you use services that rely on mandatory cookies, performance cookies or functionality cookies. For more information on managing your web browser's privacy settings, please look under the keyword "cookie" in your browser's help file or user manual.
b) Using Ghostery
Today's websites employ many useful tools and technologies, including "trackers" (primarily cookies), to guarantee an interesting and integrated user experience. Trackers can use this information to place ads, analyse your surfing behaviour, make connections via social media, provide comment sections and much more.
Ghostery (https://www.ghostery.com/) is a browser extension that helps you manage website trackers. It identifies all trackers on the individual websites and allows you to configure them one by one and in detail according to your needs.
This program is independently developed by Ghostery. Scout24 has no control over future functionality and therefore cannot make any warranty regarding its scope of services.
Feel free to contact us as follows if you have any questions or concerns:
- Scout24 Switzerland Ltd. – Data Protection – Industriestrasse 44 – CH-3175 Flamatt
Scout24 reserves the right to amend the present document (COA) at any time. The most recent version published on our websites shall apply. Please reread this document at regular intervals so that you are always current as to what happens when you visit Scout24 and how you can assert your control.
9. Source citations and further information
Excerpted passages from the following websites were used in drafting this online advertising policy (current as of the end of March 2019). You can also find further information about cookies here:
Version: May 2019 – Scout24 Switzerland Ltd.